Public Libraries Workshop: Introduction to Using the Internet in Public Libraries in Selected African Countries
Aim of the Workshop: To introduce the Internet and its possible uses in public libraries in selected African countries (Botswana and Kenya) as part of the Carnegie Corporation of New York funded programme.
- To learn what the Internet is, in particular the World Wide Web
- To learn how to use the Internet effectively and efficiently
- To learn how to search the Internet, using search engines and subject gateways
- To understand the importance of and gain the ability to use information gateways
- To become more aware of the issue of information quality on the Internet
- To create awareness of quality information available on the Internet
- To appreciate how Internet resources can support and compliment traditional public library services
- To acquire basic skills in training library users and staff in Internet related topics
All of the materials for running this workshop are freely available to download and use - please read our copyright and conditions of use statements first. We do ask you to complete a simple registration form (so that we can track usage and interest in these materials). We are also very keen to hear from people who have used or are thinking of using the materials - all are most welcome.